Cycling is one of the best ways to commute to and from the University of Ottawa. The University provides several bicycle racks throughout the campus; these racks are available to anyone who wishes to use them. The Parking and Sustainable Transportation division also offers a secure bicycle parking facility at Montpetit Hall for all students, staff and faculty members.
OPEN-AIR BICYCLE PARKING
There are approximately 170 bicycle racks across the campus. Most bicycle racks are located so your bicycle is protected from inclement weather. For your convenience, we've prepared a map with the location of bicycle parking areas with more than 10 spaces.
SECURE BICYCLE PARKING FACILITY
Cyclists who want extra peace of mind can take advantage of the Parking and Sustainable Transportation division’s enclosed bicycle parking facility, providing an added level of security. It is conveniently located at Montpetit Hall. The enclosure is located:
- Centrally on campus,
- Close to shower facilities and
- In a highly visible area.
The secure bicycle parking facility is:
- Sheltered from inclement weather,
- Made of solid wrought iron,
- Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year,
- Locked with security access card system
- Equipped with an auto-open/close gate,
- Monitored by two fixed surveillance cameras,
- Well lit,
- Equipped with standard ring racks,
- Built to accommodate 50 bicycles and
- Free to use.
Who can access the bicycle parking facility?
Any student or employee of the University of Ottawa has free access to this facility. Spaces are not reserved and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you do not have a uOttawa security access card, you may obtain one by completing an application form and providing a $15 refundable deposit (cash only).
How can I access the secured bicycle parking facility
If you wish to use the bicycle parking facility, you must:
- Complete the Secure Bicycle Parking Application Form online;
- Ensure that all required fields are properly filled ;
- Submit the online form.
Once your application has been approved, you will receive an email telling you what you need to do next. All users must abide and adhere to the rules and regulations for using a security access card.
The facility is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Access to the facility is on a one-year basis, ending on August 31. Users must re-apply for access each year.
How to use the secure bike parking facility
Using the facility is quite easy:
- Swipe your access card at the main gate to enter (gate automatically opens and closes).
- Lock your bike.
- Swipe your access card again to exit.
Users are reminded to lock their bikes with a quality U-Lock as well as a cable lock. Visit our webpage for information on properly locking a bike and how to prevent bike theft. All property secured within the facility is left at the owner’s risk. It is important to secure your bicycle properly and not to let unauthorized individuals into the facility.
All users must:
- Respect the rights of other users,
- Not claim or attempt to claim any particular bicycle parking location for their sole use,
- Not remove/move or interfere with another user's bicycle,
- Not damage or vandalize any part of the facility,
- Not give any non-user access to the facility,
- Not prop or hold the entrance or emergency gate open,
- Not repair bicycles inside the facility,
- Not block the emergency exit and
- Not lock their bicycle to anything but a bicycle rack.
For more information on the secured bicycle parking facility, contact:
Manager, Sustainable Transportation